Under current Austrian law it is not a crime to use banned substances. From AP-
Athletes in Austria caught doping could be charged with serious fraud and face prison terms of up to 10 years.
The penalties come in an amendment to the national fraud act, which is expected to take effect Jan. 1.
Under current Austrian law, possessing and selling banned substances are a criminal offense but not the actual use of the drugs.
The amendment has yet to be approved by parliament. I do believe that athletes that use PEDs are committing a type of fraud, but a 10-year jail sentence is draconian. Honestly I think the public disgrace the cheaters receive and a fine would be enough.
- LPGA announces banned drug list
- NY Rangers prospect took PEDs before his death
- Greece Olympic committee acknowledges poor judgment in case of torchbearer
- Steroids and Baseball’s Unintended Consequences
- Australia forfeits Davis Cup match
- Barry vs. Babe: No Contest
- The Mitchell Report from a Yankee fan’s perspective
- High school Coach bans Georgia Bulldogs staff from campus
- Report Clears Armstrong of Doping in 1999 Tour de France
- Sack the BCS
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed