Wickmayer is in the middle of a breakthrough year for her which includes two tournament victories. From AP-
A Belgian anti-doping tribunal has suspended U.S. Open semifinalist Yanina Wickmayer for one year for allegedly failing to report her whereabouts to anti-doping officials three times.
The Flemish regional tribunal said in a statement issued Thursday that the minimum one-year sanction is “reasonable.” Tribunal spokesman Koen Uman says the suspension takes immediate effect, but can be appealed by Wickmayer.
The 18th-ranked Belgian has denied any wrongdoing and said on her Web site she planned to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The suspension came as a surprise to the prosecutor who only wanted a suspension issued. Someone may say the panel should learn the phrase ‘guilty till proven innocent’ but Wickmayer violated the rules three times not once.
Bottom line- I think she should be suspended but not for a whole year.
- Kentucky Horse Racing Commission suspends Jockey Calvin Borel
- Royal Pains- Sheik Mohammed gets 6-month ban for horse doping
- Richard Gasquet avoids tennis ban for cocaine kiss
- Belgian sporting event cancelled after competitors flee
- Oscar Pistorius, Double Amputee Olympic Sprinter
- Cincinatti Bengals cut Chris Henry
- NHL suspends Michael Peca for bumping ref
- Harness horse driver Peter Wrenn suspended for 30 days
- Landis May Keep Tour De France Title
- Tour de France Winner Floyd Landis Flunks Drug Test
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed