A broken finger — not coach John Fox — may bench struggling Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme.
Fox said Monday that Delhomme fractured a finger on his throwing hand late in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s loss to the New York Jets and may be replaced by untested Matt Moore next week against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Delhomme threw four more interceptions against the Jets, completing only 14-of-34 passes for 130 yards with a passer rating of 12.7. The Panthers (4-7) didn’t score a touchdown in the 17-6 loss that virtually eliminated them from playoff contention.
Delhomme has a career-high 18 interceptions this season, tied with Detroit Lions rookie Matthew Stafford for second-most in the NFL behind the Chicago Bears’ Jay Cutler (20). Fox considered benching Delhomme a month ago after he threw three picks in a loss to the Buffalo Bills but decided against it.
Moore hasn’t started a game since 2007. I expect him to be the Panthers QB for the rest of 2009. Carolina is not going to make the playoffs this year. At this point, I’d be surprised if they finish 8-8.
- Carolina Panthers sign QB Matt Moore
- Carolina Panthers QB Jake Delhomme out for season
- Second Chance- Detroit Lions beat Cleveland 38-37
- NFL Draft 2009 – Round 1 #1 – Detroit Lions – QB Matthew Stafford
- Throw it away- NY Jets beat Carolina Panthers 17-6
- AFC and NFC playoff picture rundown
- Outdueled- Florida Panthers beat Buffalo 6-2
- Meadowlands Fumble II- Carolina routs NY Giants 41-9
- Vinny Testaverde Retires
- Detroit Lions release QB Drew Henson
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed