He won’t be allowed to play in a PGA or Nationwide event for one year. From ESPN-
Doug Barron became the first PGA Tour player to be suspended for violating its performance-enhancing drug policy.
Barron, 40, a veteran who played just four times this year on the developmental Nationwide Tour and once on the PGA Tour and failed to make a cut, will begin his suspension immediately — although his status was in limbo because he was playing the Nationwide Tour this year on a medical exemption.
“I would like to apologize for any negative perception of the tour or its players resulting from my suspension,” Barron said in a statement released by the PGA Tour. “I want my fellow tour members and the fans to know that I did not intend to gain an unfair competitive advantage or enhance my performance while on tour.”
It is unclear what substance Barron took or what he did to produce a positive drug test. The tour said it would have no further comment on the matter.
Barron has never finished better than 3rd at the 2005 EDS Byron Nelson Championship. More recently he has struggled on the Nationwide tour. In 2008 he only made 5 cuts in 17 tries. The drug use certainly didn’t help Barron’s play.
Jason Sobel at ESPN writes-
That said, let’s hold off on the witch hunt for the time being. In a twisted way, it’s actually a good thing that Barron got caught, as it proves the PGA Tour’s ongoing efforts toward wiping out any potential PED use weren’t fruitless nor a waste of time and money. It also discredits the theory that Tim Finchem and the folks at the Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., headquarters would cover up any positive tests to keep suspicions to a minimum.
I’m not naive enough to believe no PGA pro would ever use PEDs. I will be surprised if one of the sport’s better known players get caught. A former winner who has fallen on hard times but not to the extent of Barron has is the type of player who may get caught.
- League source says Ricky Williams failed marijuana test
- Tour de France Winner Floyd Landis Flunks Drug Test
- LPGA announces banned drug list
- Shawne Merriman Suspended for Steroids
- ADT Championship notes
- Jacksonville Jaguar Matt Jones arrested after violating plea deal
- Texas Rangers’ Manager Ron Washington used cocaine last season
- Mexican Golf Open postponed due to Swine flu fears
- Tiger Woods Skips Tour Championship
- Detroit Tiger infielder Neifi Perez suspended for 80 games
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed