7 points in 14 games to equals the worst previous start in Hurricane history previously set in 1993. From AP-
Tomas Vokoun made 31 saves for his second straight shutout, Steve Reinprecht opened the scoring early in the third period and the Florida Panthers extended the Carolina Hurricanes’ winless streak to 10 games with a 3-0 victory Wednesday night.
Vokoun beat the St. Louis Blues 4-0 on Saturday.
Cory Stillman added a power-play goal and an assist and Reinprecht also had an assist. Defenseman Bryan Allen scored an empty-net goal with 2:01 left.
Cam Ward stopped 22 shots for Carolina, 0-6-0 in the road.
The Panthers have won three straight after opening 2-7-1.
Carolina, 0-7-3 during its losing streak, hasn’t won since beating Florida 7-2 on Oct. 9 in its fourth game of the season.
The Hurricanes were shut out for the third time this season. They have scored two goals or less in 11 of their 14 games.
Reinprecht scored his ninth goal of the season when Stillman’s wrist shot bounced off his leg and through Ward’s pads. Stillman made it 2-0 at 13:46 when he tipped Bryan McCabe’s slap shot from the point.
Carolina dominated the first period, outshooting Florida 21-4. It was the Hurricanes’ most shots in any period this season.
This was a odd game in a few ways. No scoring for the first 44 plus minutes of play, then three goals in twelve minutes. Carolina had 4 power play chances in a row, then Florida got six man advantages in a row. The game ended with Carolina showing some anger, after the buzzer went off Hurricane and Panther players scuffled behind the Florida net.
After their blazing start to the game, Carolina played listlessly for much of the last two periods. I would have to think Carolina coach Paul Maurice’s job will be in jeopardy soon if a turnaround doesn’t take place soon.
Florida has now won 3 in a row. I’m not yet sold on the Panthers correcting their woeful start to the 2009-10 season. If they split or better their two games with Washington on Friday and Saturday, I might feel more confident about my favorite hockey team.
- Hard to believe- Philadelphia routs Carolina 6-1
- Outdueled- Florida Panthers beat Buffalo 6-2
- Record win- Florida beats Minnesota 3-2
- Florida Panthers- Too little, Too late
- Clipping their wings- Florida Panthers beat Detroit 2-1
- Throwing in the towel- Phoenix beats Florida 4-3
- Florida Panther Steven Reinprecht scores a hat trick in less than one period
- Under Way- Carolina Hurricanes defeat Minnesota 4-3
- How about them Florida Panthers?
- Malaise- Calgary beats Florida 2-1
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed