In spite of a horrific record, he got a contract extension just a year ago. From AP-
UNLV has fired football coach Mike Sanford after five losing seasons, a 15-43 record and no bowl appearances.
Sanford’s firing comes after a 45-17 loss to Air Force on Saturday made the Rebels ineligible for a bowl game.
In a joint statement, university president Neal Smatresk and interim athletic director Jerry Koloskie said Sanford will coach the final game of the season at home against San Diego State on the Nov. 28.
“We agree this action is needed at this time,” Smatresk said.
Sanford, 54, will be paid a $225,000 buyout, under terms of a three-year contract extension the coach signed last year.
Yet another case of a University paying for someone not to work. When can I get a job like this?
- Bobby Hauck named UNLV Football Coach
- Oregon St. fires basketball coach Jay John
- Seahawks Sign Holmgren to Two-Year Extension
- Jim O’Brien Wins $2.2 Million from Ohio State
- Michigan State Hires Cincy’s Mark Dantonio
- Cowboys Sign T.O. to 3 Year Extension
- Chargers Fire Marty Schottenheimer After 14-2 Season
- Penn State coach Joe Paterno given three-year extension
- Tommy Bowden out as Clemson coach
- Aloha- Washington State cancels Hawaii game
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74