The 2009 season was Virginia’s worst in 27 years. From AP-
Virginia has fired Al Groh after nine seasons as football coach at his alma mater.
Groh’s dismissal Sunday comes less than 24 hours after the Cavaliers (3-9, 2-6 Atlantic Coast Conference) finished their worst season since going 2-9 in 1982 with a 42-13 loss to rival Virginia Tech.
Virginia lost its final six games and finished with a losing record for the third time in four years. Groh beat Virginia Tech just once in nine games during his tenure.
It seems clear Virginia had regressed the last few seasons. The need for a new coach in Charlottesville looks justified IMHO.
- Atlanta Falcons fire Jim Mora as coach
- Seattle Mariners fire Manager John McLaren
- Tennessee to name Derek Dooley its new head football coach
- Record rout- Dallas annihilates New York 128-78
- Georgia Tech fires coach Chan Gailey
- Former College and NBA Head Coach Fred Schaus dead at 84
- Bobby Bowden’s Swan Song- Florida State may get Gator Bowl invite
- University of Miami Baseball team to take extra security when they travel to Virginia Tech
- FIU snaps nation’s longest losing streak, defeats North Texas 38-19
- Navy’s Paul Johnson Takes Georgia Tech Job
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed