My father took me to Lebanon Raceway one or two times back in the 1970′s. From the Dayton Daily News-
One person is dead and another remains missing in a barn fire Saturday morning, Dec. 5, at the Warren County Fairgrounds. The fire also killed 50 to 60 horses and destroyed the barn.
The dead person has not been identified, according to Doyle Burke, chief investigator for the Warren County Coronerâ€™s office.
According to Krista Wyatt, a Lebanon Fire Department captain, the fire was called in at 4:50 a.m., and when firefighters arrived, the roof had already collapsed and the barn was fully involved.
Up to 80 horses could have been in the barn, but none of them were scheduled to participate in two horse-drawn carriage parades in Lebanon Saturday. The parades draw thousands of spectators to downtown Lebanon each year, according to Mikki Caston of the Lebanon Area Chamber of Commerce, which organizes the parades.
Note- I’m not sure the barns where the fire took place are associated with the racetrack I been to. One news story says it is, another is vague. Counties in Ohio had fairgrounds where horses raced, at least they did in the 1960′s and 70′s. A track and a fairgrounds aren’t necessarily the same thing.
- Calder Race Course postpones two upcoming stakes races
- From Relief pitcher to Horse trainer
- It’s in the blood
- Man charged with blackmail for threat to kill Breeders Cup colt
- Decline of horse racing in Maryland
- Polo horses in United States to have random drug tests
- Adios stakes race probably moving to Pocono Downs for 2008
- Meadowlands bettors to get more handicapping info
- All Fired up because of Golf
- A vote on a new Florida Marlins baseball stadium
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed