British Grand Prix to be remain at Silverstone
The oldest F1 race was scheduled to move to Donington Park beginning in 2010. From AP-
The British Grand Prix will stay at Silverstone after Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone and the track’s owners agreed to a 17-year deal on Monday.
Donington Park was stripped of the right to host next year’s British GP after efforts to raise funds for a necessary upgrade failed and the race had been in doubt.
Donington was awarded the 17-year staging rights last year but Donington Ventures Leisure Limited failed to find buyers for seven-year bonds that it hoped would generate $221 million to fund rebuilding work to bring the track up to standard.
Silverstone has staged the British GP, the oldest race on the F1 calendar, every year since 1987 and continued to plan for the 2010 race even after Donington secured the rights.
Now Silverstone will undergo improvements in preparation for next year’s race. The 2009 edition of the British GP was won by Sebastian Vettel
- British Grand Prix may return to Silverstone
- Barry Bonds, Giants agree to $16M, 1-year deal
- Barry Bonds Allegedly Failed Amphetamine Test
- Florida authorities decide not to charge Arjun Atwal in fatal street race
- ESPN to televise all four rounds of Women’s British Open starting in 2010
- British Olympic Athletes can’t criticize China
- Tour event in Atlanta discontinued due to lack of sponsor
- Sports Stadium Names Grab Really Big Bucks
- 22 Reasons Bonds Won’t Pass Aaron
- Spurrier Signs Extension with South Carolina
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed