I’ve heard many a tale of coach abuse of college athletes, but never imprisonment or kidnapping. From ESPN-
Texas Tech coach Mike Leach has been suspended while the school investigates complaints from a player and his family about treatment after an injury.
The school said in a release Monday defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill will be the interim coach and lead the team in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2 against Michigan State. McNeill will remain in charge of the team until the investigation is complete.
The player, Adam James, is a redshirt sophomore wide receiver for the Red Raiders and the son of ESPN college football analyst Craig James.
A source close to the family told ESPN’s Joe Schad that James sustained a concussion on Dec. 16, was examined on Dec. 17 and told not to practice due to a concussion and an elevated heart rate. The source said Leach called a trainer and directed him to move James “to the darkest place, to clean out the equipment and to make sure that he could not sit or lean. He was confined for three hours.”
According to the source, Leach told the trainer, two days later, to “put [James] in the darkest, tightest spot. It was in an electrical closet, again, with a guard posted outside.”
An attorney for Leach said that while James was secluded twice, the circumstances were not as portrayed in that account.
If Leach had James involuntarily confined under any circumstances, he just shouldn’t be fired but criminally prosecuted. He had no right to imprison anyone for any length of time.
The Lubbock Avalanche Journal has more-
Leach had until Monday to write an apology and when he did not, the university felt it had to take action.
â€œThis was not taken lightly,â€ the source said, adding that Leach did not show any signs of remorse or did not say he wouldnâ€™t do it again. The player suffered a concussion at practice on Dec. 16 and Leach thought the player was faking.
The article went on to say Leach didn’t have James confined just once but twice. Texas Tech should fire this idiot and Texas prosecutors bring him up on criminal charges. Leach should spend some time behind bars and be shown how it feels to be imprisoned and have your rights taken away.
- Texas Tech fires Coach Mike Leach
- Texas Tech hire Tommy Tuberville to be next football coach
- Texas Tech QB’s fingers broken in 9 places
- Coach Bobby Knight resigns from Texas Tech
- Bob Knight Signs Extension with Texas Tech Through 2012
- Texas Tech Bans Vick Dog Hanging T-Shirt
- Cowboys Sign WR Danny Amendola
- Former Texas Western head coach Don Haskins dead at 78
- Franchione Out at Texas A&M
- Washington Wizards fire Coach Eddie Jordan
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed