How many times do a defending Stanley Cup teams not just blow a two-goal deficit but allow six consecutive goals in a game? From AP-
Radek Dvorak scored three goals for his third NHL hat trick, and Tomas Vokoun stopped 46 shots as the Florida Panthers beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 6-2 on Sunday night, sending the Stanley Cup champions to their season-high, fifth straight loss.
Rostislav Olesz, Jordan Leopold and Steven Reinprecht also scored for the Panthers, who rallied from a 2-0 deficit and snapped a three-game losing streak. Nathan Horton, Michael Frolik and Gregory Campbell each had two assists.
Sidney Crosby and Tyler Kennedy scored first-period goals, and Marc-Andre Fleury made 29 saves for Pittsburgh, which has lost six of seven.
Dvorak is contributing after a slow start to this season. He had just 3 goals, two of which were shorthanded going into Florida’s game against the NY Islanders on December 14th or just three weeks ago.
Campbell did indeed get two assists but he is still without a goal for the season. Other than salary considerations there is no good reason for Coach Peter DeBoer to be giving this player so much time on ice. What is really at work here, is DeBoer playing favorites. He coached Campbell in a junior league.
The Panthers have many problems, and one of them is their poor handling of personnel. Last year the team had another non-contributing veteran, Brett McLean who wasn’t worth the roster spot when the team has scoring prospects in Rochester named Shawn Matthias and Michael Repik. Guess where Matthias and Repik are now?
The Penguins will bounce back from their current losing streak. I predict them to get to the conference finals this year. After the Penguins scored two goals in the first eleven minutes of play. With Florida coming off three consecutive defeats, I was almost ready to let my wife turn on the Filipino Channel.
Next up for Florida- A three game road trip through Canada. Games against Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal. Can Florida get this season righted before coming home to play Washington on January 13th? It would make a nice 48th birthday(Janurary 12th) present for this Panthers fan.
- Shawn the Man- Florida beats Montreal 2-1
- To hell with them- Florida beats New Jersey 4-2
- Florida Panthers sign C Dominic Moore
- Florida Panthers- Even more pain
- Florida Panther Ville Peltonen out for 2 weeks with broken foot
- What are you waiting for?- Florida Panthers beat Colorado 6-5
- Florida Panthers trade Dominic Moore to Montreal
- Clipping their wings- Florida pounds Atlanta 8-4
- NHL Left Winger Gary Roberts announces his retirement
- Collapse- Washington wins in shootout, beats Florida 5-4
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed