They are only doing this year’s event but have an option to pick up more. From AP-
The San Diego Open has found a title sponsor one week before its tournament at Torrey Pines, with Farmers Insurance Group agreeing to a deal for at least one year.
The PGA Tour said Monday that Farmers, a subsidiary of Zurich Financial Services, has an option to be the title sponsor beyond 2010.
The tournament, formerly the Buick Invitational, will be called the Farmers Insurance Open when it begins Jan. 28.
There have been plenty of Chicken Little impersonators among both golf bloggers and writers because of the PGA having lost multiple sponsors of late. Farmers Insurance stepping forward is just the latest case of these people being off target. Doom and gloom sells or makes for a better column or blog post, remember that.
- Farmers Insurance to sponsor San Diego Open through 2014
- US Bank drops sponsorship of Milwaukee PGA Tour stop
- PGA Tour’s Doral tournament in need of a new sponsor
- LPGA Tour loses title sponsor ADT
- FBR out as PGA Tour sponsor
- No more PODS Championship after 2008?
- PGA Tour season opener has new sponsor
- Wegmans, LPGA agree on three-year title sponsor deal
- Annika Sorenstam delays ‘retirement’
- Tulsa LPGA tournament needs a new sponsor
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed