Tight End Vernon Davis tied a NFL record in the 49ers 2009 season finaleAP-
The San Francisco 49ers finished strong, scoring three touchdowns in the final 7 1/2 minutes. The St. Louis Rams bowed out with a performance worthy of the No. 1 overall pick.
Vernon Davis tied the NFL record* for touchdown receptions by a tight end with his 13th of the season, sparking the 49ers’ late surge in a 28-6 victory on Sunday.
Frank Gore added 107 yards rushing on 23 carries and two TDs for the 49ers (8-8), who pulled away after a desultory first half in which they mustered only 52 yards and trailed 3-0.
Gore rushed for almost as many yards as the Rams as a team collected offensively(109). Today was the fifth worst offensive performance in Rams franchise history.
blockquote>San Francisco ended a string of six consecutive losing seasons, halted a six-game road losing streak and finished 5-1 against the NFC West. The Rams (1-15) wrapped up their first winless home schedule since going 0-6 in 1959 and only the third in franchise history.Early in the last decade, St. Louis went to consecutive Super Bowls. At the close of the 00′s they went 6-42 from 2007 to 2009. What a reversal in fortunes.
The Rams have acquired the #1 pick in the NFL draft based on their record for the first time in almost fifty years. In 1962, they drafted Heisman trophy winner Terry Baker(Who was a bust). In 1997 the Rams traded up to select Orlando Pace, who is a likely Hall of Famer one day. St. Louis fans will probably clamor for the team to select a quarterback,(Tim Tebow?)but that’s a risky move. If a young QB doesn’t have a offensive line to protect him, it will be awfully difficult for him to succeed.
*- Antonio Gates caught 13 touchdown passes in 2004 for the San Diego Chargers.
- Wide Receiver Brandon Marshall sets NFL catch record
- St. Louis Rams fire coach Scott Linehan
- Rams Sign Stephen Davis to 1 Year, $850K Deal
- WR Torry Holt signs with Jacksonville Jaguars
- Colt McCoy Ties Record for Freshman TD Passes
- NFL Draft 2009 – Round 1 #2 – St. Louis Rams – OT Jason Smith
- Chicago Bears sign LB Pisa Tinoisamoa
- Kurt Warner May Be Benched for Matt Leinart
- Veteran NFL Quarterback Trent Green announces his retirement
- Kansas City Chiefs trade TE Tony Gonzalez to Atlanta
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed