Anaheim Duck Teemu Selanne recently suffered a similar injury. From AP-
New York Islanders defenseman Jack Hillen will miss six to eight weeks with a broken jaw and damaged teeth caused by a slap shot from Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin.
The Islanders said on Wednesday that the 24-year-old Hillen remained hospitalized following surgery late Tuesday night into the morning. Hillen was injured in the first period of New York’s 7-2 home loss on Tuesday and is expected to be discharged from the hospital on Thursday.
It is the second major injury to the Islanders’ defense corps that lost veteran Radek Martinek to a season-ending knee injury in November.
Hillen was helping to protect the net when he was struck in the face by the puck. It is just one of those freak accidents that happen in hockey.
The Islanders have a record of 23-22-8 for the season and are in the midst of a wild tussle for the last 3 Eastern Conference playoff berths. The loss of Hillen probably won’t affect the team too adversely. As long as no other major injuries happen.
- NY Islander Defenseman Radek Martinek out for the year with a torn ACL
- Steelers 1-3, Look Like a Bad Team
- NY Islanders forward Doug Weight out six weeks with MCL sprain
- Eight Million Dollar mistake- Cincinnati Bengals cut WR Antonio Bryant
- St. Louis Blues Defensemen injured in golf cart accident
- Chris Simon takes leave from NY Islanders
- Florida Panthers’ Nathan Horton to miss 4-6 with broken tibia
- Ottawa’s Deny Heatley may miss six weeks due to shoulder injury
- How about them Florida Panthers?
- Not pretty at all- NY Jets beat Buffalo 19-13
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed