He had a record of 94-57 at USF and been the only football coach the school has ever had. From ESPN-
South Florida football coach Jim Leavitt was fired Friday following an investigation of an allegation that he struck one of his players in the locker room.
In confirming his dismissal, Leavitt told The Associated Press he was “disappointed” and the allegation was “absolutely false.”
South Florida said the findings of its investigation into the alleged incident will be discussed at a 12:30 p.m. ET news conference. In its statement, the university did not mention Leavitt’s status as coach.
A South Florida staff member told ESPN’s Joe Schad that a staff meeting has been called for noon ET, at which time the entire coaching staff will be officially fired. A meeting with the players is not expected.
Leavitt has been under investigation by the university for allegedly grabbing and striking special teams player Joel Miller at halftime of a November game against Louisville. The allegations against Leavitt originally were made by Miller’s father, Paul, in an online report. Paul Miller has backtracked from original comments that alluded to contact Leavitt allegedly made with his son’s neck and face.
Miller has since said Leavitt only grabbed his shoulder pads. Apparently the school is believing the first version of events.
Honestly, I don’t understand why abuse of college athletes is even tolerated by society. What would lead to criminal charges if it happened outside the world of sports, or happened to young men and women just a few young years younger, would result in criminal charges for the abuser. Instead excuses are made and the victims get criticized. What is wrong with this picture?
- South Florida to name Skip Holtz to be its next football coach
- UCF Baseball Coach fired because of his alleged harassment of equipment mgr.
- Pro golfer Arjun Atwal could face charges in street racing death
- Complaints led University of Georgia golf coach to quit
- Makes no cents at all- Chicago Blackhawk Patrick Kane charged with robbery
- Florida A&M Basketball coach charged with stalking
- Texas Tech suspends Coach Mike Leach
- The Short Bus: Drop Your Lawyer Pacman Jones!
- Oklahoma State Baseball accused of major rules violation
- Michigan State Hires Cincy’s Mark Dantonio
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed