He replaces the recently fired Jim Leavitt. From ESPN-
Skip Holtz is leaving East Carolina to take over as coach at South Florida.
Holtz informed the team of his decision in a meeting Thursday afternoon, team spokesman Tom McClellan said.
South Florida fired coach Jim Leavitt earlier this month after a school investigation concluded he grabbed a player by the throat, slapped him in the face, then lied about it. Leavitt denied the allegations and insisted his dismissal was unwarranted.
The 45-year-old Holtz has led East Carolina to two consecutive Conference USA championships and 38 victories in four seasons. He also coached at Connecticut in the 1990s in the years before UConn became a Division I-A (FBS) program.
Unlike Leavitt, Holtz is likely to use SF as a stepping stone towards a more prestigious college football coaching job. There is nothing wrong with ambition as long as 1- The coach is honest about it 2- The University avoids hiring someone who is ambitious and only in the job for themselves. In other words, a coach who will get a university into NCAA trouble then bolt just before sanctions are to be handed down. Someone like John Calipari.
- South Florida fires football coach Jim Leavitt
- East Carolina hires Jeff Lebo to be its next basketball coach
- Idaho Players Angry at Erickson
- Hofstra University to drop football program
- If Nick Saban leaves Miami, is it deja vu all over again?
- Florida Gators fire Carolyn Peck
- Duke fires Football coach Ted Roof
- Bobby Hauck named UNLV Football Coach
- Seattle Seahawks fire Coach Jim Mora Jr.
- Buffalo Bills hire Chan Gailey as head coach
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed