A new year and decade is only a day old and a firing has already taken place.
The St. Louis Blues have fired coach Andy Murray, naming Davis Payne coach in the interim.
Payne was promoted from the team’s AHL affiliate in Peoria, Ill.
“Davis is very knowledgeable of the players in our organization and we feel he is the best candidate to coach our team,” team president John Davidson said in a prepared statement.
Davidson was expected to discuss the decision at a news conference Saturday morning.
The Blues are 17-17-6 with 40 points, fourth in the NHL’s Central Division.
What is much important than the Blues’ Standing in the Central Division is where they are in relation to the Western Conference playoff race. The Blues are 12th of 15 teams and stand a full 9 points out of the last playoff slot.
That in a nutshell is the real cause for Murray’s firing. I know nothing about Payne, but St. Louis doesn’t have the talent Pittsburgh did a year ago when the team fired their coach and his replacement turned things around. All the way to the Stanley Cup Championship. I’m willing to bet $20 the Blues don’t even make the 2009-10 NHL playoffs.
- Nashville Predators trade Goalie Chris Mason to St. Louis
- The incredible Tomas Vokoun
- Post NHL All-Star game playoff assessment- Western Conference
- St. Louis Blues Defensemen injured in golf cart accident
- Art Shell Fired by Raiders – Again
- NHL Overhaul (and Expansion?!)
- Chicago Blackhawks fire coach Denis Savard
- Browns Fire Offensive Coordinator Maurice Carthon
- Philadelphia Flyers fire Coach John Stevens
- Phoenix Suns fire coach Terry Porter after 4 months on the job
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed