nothing short of miraculous totally thanks to Goalie Tomas Vokoun that the Panthers were able to pull off a victory tonight. From AP-
Gregory Campbell scored midway through the second period and Tomas Vokoun made 27 saves in the Florida Panthers’ 1-0 victory over the Atlanta Thrashers on Monday night.
Vokoun earned his fifth shutout of the season and won for the fifth time in his last seven home starts. Vokoun has made 101 saves in the last three games, all Panthers victories. Florida is on its fourth three-game winning streak of the season.
Whenever I start getting optimistic about the Panthers(they have more wins than losses now on the season), I remind myself that they haven’t had a winning streak longer than 3 games since the 2006-07 season. They can never get real hot, which is one reasons the team can’t get to the playoffs.
Vokoun was incredible tonight. He made a diving 2-pad safe early in the game. Later, he had to deflect away shot after Thrasher shot. Atlanta pulled their goalie and then when Florida committed a penalty, the team had a 6-4 advantage for the last 90 seconds of play.
Gregory Campbell in addition to scoring the only goal(with a helpful screen from Rusty Olesz) won a key faceoff in the last 20 seconds, and just a little while later, cleared the puck out of the Florida zone as the last few seconds ticked off the clock. Those plays got Florida the win tonight and make Campbell Co-MVP for a night but he still has played like crap this season for the most part and is a drain on the team.
Next up for Florida- A road trip to New Jersey and the NY Islanders.
Personal note- I just bought my first ever ticket to a Panther game. On Monday February 1st, I will see them play Anaheim. That’s one of 3 Florida games not on television this year. I am really addicted to Panther hockey, eh?
- Payback- Florida beats Atlanta 4-3
- Malaise- Calgary beats Florida 2-1
- Shawn the Man- Florida beats Montreal 2-1
- A big win- Florida defeats Carolina 4-2
- Florida Panthers end 11-game losing streak in Atlanta dating back to 2003
- Florida Goalie Tomas Vokoun suffers head injury
- Collapse- Washington wins in shootout, beats Florida 5-4
- What are you waiting for?- Florida Panthers beat Colorado 6-5
- To hell with them- Florida beats New Jersey 4-2
- Florida’s 6-3 win over Boston puts them one point out of division lead
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed