It was a year ago that Peer was denied a visa to enter the United Arab Emirates. From AP-
Venus Williams has ended Israeli Shahar Peer’s run at the Dubai Tennis Championships with a 6-1, 6-4 victory in the semifinals.
The defending champion and third seed needed 1 hour, 23 minutes Friday to defeat Peer, who was not allowed to play in the tournament a year ago when she was denied a visa by the United Arab Emirates government, citing security reasons.
The win by Venus Williams comes as no surprise. Peer was unranked for this tournament.
I hope Peer received more than the polite applause she was getting in earlier rounds. Sports should be about who is the best athlete at a particular point in time. A winning performer deserves to be congratulated by fans watching him or her.
- WTA given written assurance of Shahar Peer getting a visa to play in Dubai
- Israeli Andy Ram allow to play in Dubai
- Dubai tennis cites security fear in barring Israeli tennis player
- Dubai denies visa for Israeli tennis player
- North Korea beats Saudi Arabia 1-0 in World Cup qualifier
- Venus Williams beats Maria Kirilenko to win Korean Open
- Tennis stadium evacuated for bag scare
- Venus Williams wins her 5th Wimbledon title
- Tax filings say tennis stars paid Dad as their Manager
- Tiger Woods rallies to win Dubai Desert Classic
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed