What are they drinking in Motown right now? From the Detroit Free Press-
The Lions need a third quarterback on their roster and, more important, a dependable backup for Matthew Stafford.
Signing a veteran to compete with Drew Stanton for that role would seem to make the most sense, but coach Jim Schwartz said drafting a quarterback is not out of the question.
â€œYou can take that first-round draft pick off, but maybe at some time in the draft a quarterback makes sense,â€ Schwartz told reporters Friday. â€œThatâ€™s happened a bunch of different times. Youâ€™re sitting saying, â€˜Hey, look, this makes sense right here.â€™ I donâ€™t think weâ€™ve gone into (the off-season) saying, â€˜This is exactly how weâ€™re going to fill that.â€™ What you do is you just weigh every option that comes up. When one makes sense, you pull the trigger on it and right now weâ€™re still weighing our options.â€
Schwartz doesnâ€™t like to paint himself into corners or to speak in absolutes. He never says never and was not dismayed at the prospect of developing a young QB.
The coach not wanting to speak in absolutes does explain the matter. As things stand, Detroit needs help all over their squad and backup quarterback has to rank pretty low priority wise. Offensively, Guard, Wide Receiver, and Running back are where the Lions need help. All those first round WR draft picks(Charlie Rogers, Mike Williams most notably) of theirs in the Matt Millen days didn’t work out too well.
Update- Detroit acquired QB Shaun Hill from San Francisco. The Lions won’t be spending a draft pick on a Quarterback now.
- Detroit Lions hire
SupermanJim Schwartz to be head coach
- Detroit Lions release QB Drew Henson
- Donald Driver sets new Packer reception record as Green Bay beats Detroit 26-0
- NFL Draft 2009 – Round 1 #1 – Detroit Lions – QB Matthew Stafford
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 4 – Dallas Trades Down Again – And Again!- And Again!
- NFL Draft 2006 – Round 1 #9 – Detroit Lions – LB Ernie Sims
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #2 – Detroit Lions – WR Calvin Johnson
- Lions “Move On” from QB Joey Harrington
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 3 – Cowboys Trade 3rd to Detroit
- Lions Fans Planning Stadium Walkout
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed