He replaces Mark McCarthy. From the Charlotte Observer-
East Carolina has turned to former Auburn coach Jeff Lebo to lead its long-struggling men’s basketball program.
The school announced Monday it had hired Lebo to replace Mack McCarthy, who spent three seasons on the sideline for the Pirates before stepping down to take a fundraising job in the school’s athletics department. Lebo had spent the past six seasons at Auburn, going 96-93 overall before he was fired earlier this month.
The 43-year-old coach played at North Carolina under Dean Smith in the late 1980s and had coached at Tennessee Tech and Chattanooga previously.
The school has scheduled a news conference for Lebo on Tuesday.
Lebo inherits a difficult job at East Carolina, a Conference USAb school located in the shadows of instate Atlantic Coast Conference programs Duke, North Carolina and North Carolina State.
East Carolina hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 1993 and has had only been .500 or better once since then. Lebo faces a next impossible task in turning around the Pirates fortunes.
- Former Missississippi State Coach Paul Davis dead at 87
- Tennessee to name Derek Dooley its new head football coach
- South Florida to name Skip Holtz to be its next football coach
- Former Olympic swin coach Richard Quick dead at 66
- Former MLB Pitcher Bruce Dal Canton dead at 66
- Indiana University Football Coach Terry Hoeppner dead at 59
- Auburn to name Iowa State’s Gene Chizik as football coach
- Georgia OC Neil Callaway Takes UAB Job
- NCAA fines South Carolina for post game celebration
- Lane Kiffin leaves Tennessee to coach USC
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed