The last track in New Hampshire will now only host poker, bingo(!), and other events. From AP-
The age of live horse racing at New Hampshire’s Rockingham Park is over.
Rockingham Park President Edward M. Callahan says the decision to limit the location to simulcast thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing came because of increased fees imposed by the state.
Timothy “Ted” Connors of the New Hampshire Racing and Charitable Gaming Commission calls it a sad, dark day for the state.
Callahan says the decision had to be made now to give 850 horsemen and seasonal employees time to make other arrangements for the summer.
Personal note- I went to Rockingham Park once with my father during the 1980′s. It was during one of my only two ever visits to New Hampshire.
- Hiawatha Horse Park shuts down simulcasts
- Horse owners want bigger share of slots revenue at Pompano Tracetrack
- Florida horsemen say 2009 racing meet will end 3 months early
- Board votes to discontinue harness racing at Prairie Meadows
- Racing greyhound electrocuted in ‘unfortunate accident’
- Calder Race Course postpones two upcoming stakes races
- Another doomed horse racing track- Vernon Downs
- New Jersey committee report on horse racing states ‘the status quo is not sustainable’
- Michigan horse racing tracks may shut down in November
- Rosecroft Raceway ceases operations
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed