Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington admitted on Wednesday that he used an illegal drug in the first-half of last season and tested positive for a random drug test.
Washington did not reveal the type of drug, saying the circumstances arenâ€™t important. Sources, though, said he took cocaine.
He completed a major-league mandated treatment program â€” which included counseling and giving submitting to urine tests three times a week â€” only two weeks ago.
The Rangers are satisfied that this was a one-time incident because of the honesty he displayed after the drug use, and that Washington did not have a drug habit.
â€œI fully understand that I disappointed a lot of people â€” my family, my players, coaches â€” as well as the teamâ€™s leadership, especially Nolan Ryan and Jon Daniels, as well as young people who may have looked up to me,â€ Washington said.
â€œI am truly sorry for my careless, dangerous and, frankly, stupid, behavior last year.â€
Should Washington be fired? He didn’t set a good example for his players but I’m willing to give him a second chance. As long as this issue doesn’t detract from his work managing the Rangers.
- Jacksonville Jaguar Matt Jones arrested after violating plea deal
- Nolan and Del Rio to Wear Suits on Game Day
- Cowboys Leadership Losses Mounting
- Former MLB Pitcher Jim Bibby dead at 65
- New Jersey Nets ban gambling on team plane
- Tank Johnson Suspended One Game
- Tiger Woods taking hiatus from golf
- LPGA Tour to conduct cheating inquiry
- Miami Dolphins name Mike Nolan Defensive Coordinator
- NY Ranger Vinny Prospal to have knee surgery
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed