The Ukranian won for the 53rd time in 56 career fights. From AP-
Wladimir Klitschko knocked out Eddie Chambers in the 12th and final round to retain his WBO and IBF heavyweight belts Saturday night.
The taller, heavier Klitschko dominated the fight and ended it with a left hook 5 seconds before the final bell. The American went down heavily and needed a couple of minutes to recover. The referee never bothered to count.
The 33-year-old Ukrainian improved to 53-3 and scored his 48th KO. Chambers lost for the second time in 37 fights.
Klitschko caught Chambers with a big right that nearly floored him late in the second round. Chambers staggered but survived the round by clinging onto Klitschko.
Otherwise, Klitschko jabbed his way through a largely dull fight, with Chambers mainly trying to limit the damage.
A dull fight. How many people in the United States viewed it? Most big title bouts are on Pay per view today and honestly while it is profitable for the sport, it also marginalizes boxing. Other than Manny Pacquiao, I can’t name a champion fighter in any weight division.(Another problem the sport has is- Too many champions. WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF etc) As a kid I watched plenty of title fights either in Network prime-time or the Wide World of Sports but those just aren’t done today. I’d follow the sport more if I didn’t have to pay $50 plus for 36 minutes of action.
- Joe Calzaghe: Boxing on the ropes
- Manny Pacquiao retains Super Featherweight title
- Coming to a theater near you- Mayweather-Marquez fight to be shown in cinemas
- Japan boxing authority suspends Daiki Kameda
- Miami Dolphins trade WR Chris Chambers to San Diego
- Bernard Hopkins, 48, wins IBF Light Heavyweight title
- No luck for the Irish- Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym wins WBA Super Bantamweight title
- San Diego Chargers release WR Chris Chambers
- Hall of Fame Boxing Referee and Judge Lou Filippo dead at 83
- Chico Corrales Killed in Motorcycle Crash
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed