Jackson pitched for the Tampa Bay Rays as recently as two years ago. From AP-
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Edwin Jackson had a chance to finish the ugliest of the no-hitters in this the Year of the Pitcher, and nothing was going to stop of him.
Not Arizona manager A.J. Hinch. Certainly not the Tampa Bay Rays.
Barreling ahead despite a soaring pitch count, Jackson tossed the fourth no-hitter of the season Friday night, beating his former team 1-0 despite walking eight, hitting a batter and watching another reach base on an error.
It took an astounding 149 pitches — most in the majors in five years — to complete the second no-hitter in Arizona history.
“We talked every inning after about the sixth because I was checking on him. It’s such a complicated situation with the game in the balance and him chasing a no-hitter,” Hinch said.
“He kept saying he was fine and, `I’m not coming out, I’m not coming out, I’m not coming out.’ As the momentum built and the situation grew, it was pretty evident he had an extra gear. It’s something to celebrate.”
All but one of Jackson’s walks came in the first three innings, but the Rays still were no-hit for the third time in less than a year, including perfect games by Dallas Braden at Oakland on May 9 and Mark Buehrle at Chicago last July 23.
Colorado’s Ubaldo Jimenez no-hit Atlanta on April 17 and Philadelphia’s Roy Halladay tossed a perfect game at Florida on May 29. Detroit’s Armando Galarraga lost his perfect game with two outs in the ninth on a blown call by umpire Jim Joyce.
Jackson’s no-hitter was only the 2nd in Diamondback history and was the first ever thrown at Tropicana Field.
Three no-hitters in a year is hardly unprecedented. In 1969, six no-hitters were thrown. I don’t know if that is a record, it is just the only year with more than five that I could come up with glancing quickly.
- Oakland A Dallas Braden throws a perfect game
- Tampa Bay Ray Matt Garza no-hits Detroit
- Roy Halladay Pitches 20th Perfect Game In MLB History
- Chicago White Sox P Mark Buehrle throws a Perfect game
- Perfect Games Becoming More Common Than No-Hitters
- Roy Halladay throws second no-hitter in postseason history
- Milwaukee Brewers want call overturned and no-hitter given to CC Sabathia
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers cut WR Dexter Jackson
- Yes Virginia, Tom Terrific really threw a no-hitter
- 12-year-old girl throws Little League perfect game
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed