The Middle East car race was canceled by the country. From AP-
The season-opening Formula One race in Bahrain was called off Monday because of anti-government protests sweeping the Gulf kingdom.
The race is the country’s biggest international sports event and has been on the F1 calendar every year since 2004.
“We felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain’s Formula One race to a later date,” Bahrain’s crown prince said in a statement.
Eight people have been killed since the unrest began last week and demonstrators planned to use the March 13 race to highlight demands for the ruling monarchy to give up its near-absolute control.
The race could be rescheduled for later in the year. IMHO I think the canceling of the race was the right decision.
- Fernando Alonso wins Bahrain Grand Prix
- Formula One adding India to 2011 schedule
- Sebastian Vettel wins the Malaysian Grand Prix
- British Grand Prix may return to Silverstone
- Sebastian Vettel wins Chinese Grand Prix
- The reign in Spain- Jenson Button wins Spanish Grand Prix
- Rachel Alexandra wins the Preakness Stakes
- Renault won’t contest Singapore race fixing allegations
- Rubens Barrichello wins the Italian Grand Prix
- Racing greyhound electrocuted in ‘unfortunate accident’
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed