From the BBC-
An official at an athletics event in the German city of Dusseldorf has died after being speared in the throat with a javelin.
The 74-year-old man was rushed to hospital after the accident on Sunday but died of his injuries.
The official, named locally as Dieter Strack, had gone to measure a throw but was hit by a javelin before it hit the ground, according to local media.
The competition was called off after the incident.
The 15-year-old competitor who threw the javelin is receiving psychological counselling, police spokesman Andre Hartwig told the Associated Press.
A statement on the website of the local athletics association identified the man as Mr Strack and said he was a “much-loved and experienced” sports judge.
Very sad and RIP Mr. Strack.
The article noted that the accidental death of sports officials is rare. Maybe the most famous case was what happened at the 1977 South African Grand Prix when two marshals tried to run across the racetrack to extinguish a fire. The following video is graphic.
The driver of the car that hit the race marshal, Tom Pryce, was also killed.
- Chinese soccer team quarantined over swine flu
- Daily Racing Form columnist Joe Hirsch dead at 80
- Former NFL DT Norman Hand dead at 37
- MLB Pitcher Joe Kennedy dead at 28
- Ethel Funches, black women’s golf champion, dead at 96
- Indian runner fails gender test
- Racing greyhound electrocuted in ‘unfortunate accident’
- NY Rangers prospect took PEDs before his death
- Duke Lacrosse Gear Sales Skyrocketing
- UCLA cleared to play opener at Rose Bowl
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed