The United States team got some help from an unlikely source, as Ghana stunned the Czech Republic in World Cup play.
Ghana pulled off the biggest upset of this World Cup and might have helped the United States along the way. The first win for Africa in this tournament was a stunner, 2-0 over the same Czech Republic team that routed the Americans in their opener. Asamoah Gyan scored in the second minute Saturday and the Ghanians peppered star goalkeeper Petr Cech before getting the clincher in the 82nd.
With the victory, Ghana assured that the United States would not be eliminated from contention even with a loss later Saturday against Italy. A U.S. win would put all four teams even at three points in Group E.
- US Embarrassed 3-0 by Czech Republic
- USA Plays Italy to a 1-1 Draw
- Bruce Arena Out as U.S. Soccer Coach (Video)
- USA Serious Contenders for 2006 World Cup
- North Korea beats Saudi Arabia 1-0 in World Cup qualifier
- The United States wins the Solheim Cup
- IHWC Quarterfinals Set
- Czech player says he was asked to lose tennis match
- USA Beats England in Thrilling 1-1 Tie
- Let the Solheim Cup begin
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed