An NBA player was arrested overnight for firing gunshots near the White House.
Lonny Baxter, a forward on the NBA Charlotte Bobcats and a former University of Maryland standout, was arrested on weapons charges early this morning by uniformed Secret Service agents after they received reports of shots being fired a few blocks from the White House. Secret Service Spokesman Eric Zahren said that a civilian flagged down an officer about 2.30 a.m. to report the sound of gunfire in the vicinity of 18th and H Streets, NW. A few minutes later, officers pulled over an SUV at 17th and I Streets, NW and found in plain view spent shell casings.
It’ll be interesting to learn the story behind this. While 18th and H is indeed quite close to the White House, it’s even closer to the IMF and World Bank.
Now, anti-trade protestors often target these buildings, especially during international conferences. Sometimes, for reasons I’ve never figured out, they wear turtle suits. Baxter is a former Maryland Terrapin. Their mascot? A turtle. Their motto? “Fear the turtle.”
Could there be a connection?
Well, almost certainly not. Still, if it turns out that Baxter is an anti-trade zealot, you read it here first.
- Decline of horse racing in Maryland
- Rope-a-Dope Confirmed?
- Owner of Pimlico racecourse defaults on loan
- Obsessed with Phil Mickelson
- Manny is Manny
- Who Owns the Bush House?
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 2 #44- Miami Dolphins- QB/WR Pat White
- Navy defeats Army for the 7th straight time
- Braves Trade for Closer Bob Wickman
- Belgian panel suspends Yanina Wickmayer for 1 year
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed