Todd Archer reviews the Dallas Cowboys’ shopping list for the first season in four years where Bill Parcells won’t be buying the groceries. It’s a long list.
The Cowboys spent the day with UT-ex Leonard Davis, who played the previous six seasons in Arizona after the Cardinals made him the No. 2 overall pick in the 2001 draft, but could not reach a deal. He flew to visit NFC East rival Washington on Friday night.
In the market for a backup quarterback after cutting Drew Bledsoe, the Cowboys have an interest in veteran Brad Johnson, who started 14 games for Minnesota in 2006.
Johnson, who turns 39 in September, will visit Denver today. He threw for 2,750 yards with nine touchdown passes and 15 interceptions last season.
Another possibility is Patrick Ramsey, who was cut by the New York Jets on Friday. A former first-round pick by Washington in 2002, Ramsey attempted just one pass last season. He has 34 touchdown passes and 29 interceptions in his five-year career.
The Cowboys did not ignore the defensive side of the ball, talking with the agent for recently released linebacker Joey Porter. In eight years with Pittsburgh, Porter was named to the Pro Bowl three times and has 60 career sacks.
[K]icker Martin Gramatica is closer to returning after his agent, Jack Reale, expressed optimism a deal could be done over the weekend. After Mike Vanderjagt flopped, the Cowboys brought in Gramatica, and he made six-of-eight field goals, including a 46-yarder to beat the New York Giants in the final seconds.
I’m not at all excited by the prospect of Patrick Ramsey joining the squad. He’s been a bust thus far and I don’t see much upside. Brad Johnson, on the other hand, would be a great addition if the price is right.
I’d love to add Leonard Davis but it’s going to be hard to justify overpaying him, which will likely be the price of landing him in a seller’s market.
- Dallas Cowboys Kicker Battle: Gramatica v. Folk
- Cowboys Sign QB Brad Johnson to Three-Year Deal
- Keyshawn Johnson Cut by Carolina Panthers
- Cowboys Re-Sign Gurode to Six Year Deal
- Cowboys Looking at G Kyle Kosier and TE Ryan Hannam
- Reports: Brees Headed to Saints
- Cowboys Sign Safety Ken Hamlin
- Cowboys Cut Keyshawn, Sparking More T.O. Rumors
- Boomeranged- Miami makes a waiver mistake on LB Joey Porter
- Cowboys Sign Kosier; To Re-Sign Gurode
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed