The New York Giants have taken Texas cornerback Aaron Ross, widely projected to go to the Dallas Cowboys at the 22 spot, number 20 overall in the 2007 NFL Draft.
What the Experts Say:
- Rick Gosselin’s Final Ranking: 22nd overall
- Mel Kiper Final Ranking: 22nd overall
- Scout.com Final Ranking: 19th Overall
Player Evaluation: One of the better athletes at the cornerback position in this draft, Ross is just hitting his stride as a football player and offers great upside. May need time to develop his skills but has starting potential.
STRENGTHS: Closing Speed, Size
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT: Burst Out Of Breaks, Coverage Awareness
Biography: All-Conference selection as a senior after becoming a full-time starter, posting 80/6/19. Primarily a reserve cornerback and return specialist before last season. Junior totals were 62/9/3, when he averaged 14.7 yards on 34 punt returns.
Pos: Athletic corner who showed tremendous progress last season. Quick-footed in reverse, is fluid flipping his hips and easily runs downfield with opponents. Displays an excellent break to the throw, out-jumps opponents defending passes and makes a lot of athletic plays. Effective in zone, displaying a sense of timing, and does a fine job handling man coverage responsibilities. Impacts the game returning punts.
Neg: Tends to play soft coverage and gives up a lot of underneath receptions. Shows hesitation to his game and has trouble staying with receivers out of their breaks.
Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters have both lost a step and are now liabilities when left on an island, so taking a corner makes sense and the Giants got an excellent one in Ross. He possesses a very good blend of size, speed, instincts and ball skills. If he develops as expected, he’ll emerge as a playmaking starter in the NFL. Don’t overlook the impact he should make on special teams because the Giants made Chad Morton a cap casualty and need help in that area. It’s also worth noting that Central Michigan OT Joe Staley also would have been an excellent selection.
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #18 – Cincinnati Bengals – CB Leon Hall
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #14 – New York Jets – CB Darrelle Revis
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #27 – New Orleans Saints – WR Robert Meachem
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #24 – New England Patriots – S Brandon Meriweather
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #12 – Buffalo Bills – RB Marshawn Lynch
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #13 – St. Louis Rams – DE Adam Carriker
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #19 – Tennessee Titans – S Michael Griffin
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #23 – Kansas City Chiefs – WR Dwayne Bowe
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #25 – Carolina Panthers – LB Jon Beason
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #32 – Indianapolis Colts – WR Anthony Gonzalez
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed