MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. – Michelle Wie withdrew from the Ginn Tribute on Thursday after playing much of the first round with bandaged wrists and shooting 14 over par through 16 holes.
After Wie bogeyed the par-4 seventh, the 17-year-old star from Hawaii told an LPGA tour official: “We’re not going to play anymore.”
Her round included a 10 on the par-5 third hole.
She shook hands with her playing partners on the eighth tee and rode the cart back to the clubhouse with her caddie and parents.
Wie had not played competitive golf since missing the cut at the PGA Tour Sony Open in January.
To me just based on her score, it seems Michelle still has medical issues with her wrists. She would be best advised to stop playing golf and take as a long a rest as is needed to get 100% healthy. Otherwise Michelle’s injuries could have long-term consequences.
I’m betting Michelle doesn’t play the LPGA Championship next week. An event she came close to winning last year.
- Michelle Wie won’t play at Sony Open
- Michelle Wie to start ’08 at LPGA Fields Open
- Michelle Wie withdraws from John Deere Classic
- No brainer- Michelle Wie invited to play at the Kraft Nabisco Championship
- Happy 18th Birthday Michelle Wie
- Michelle Wie to play in another PGA Tour event
- Michelle Wie confident but says injured wrists will never be the same
- Michelle Wie qualifies for the US Women’s Open
- Move over Michelle Wie Part IV
- Michelle Wie Disqualified at State Farm Classic
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed