Another hole for Florida to fill for the 2008-09 NHL season.
SUNRISE – Panthers veteran forward Jozef Stumpel was placed on unconditional waivers Wednesday.
If Stumpel, 35, isn’t claimed by another team by noon Thursday and clears waivers, the Panthers’ next move would likely be to buy out the remaining year on Stumpel’s contract.
Buying out Stumpel’s contract would mean the Panthers would be responsible for paying him two-thirds of his $2.25 million salary for the 2008-09 season.
Stumpel struggled last season, though, recording career lows in goals (seven) and assists (13) and a minus-11 rating. Slowed by a shoulder injury, Stumpel played just 52 games, his fewest in a season since 44 with the Bruins in 1994-95.
Unlike with the Jokinen trade, I think Florida made the right move here. Stumpel supplied little production for the amount the Panthers were paying out to him. I just wonder where Florida is going to come up with any real forwards from. Defensemen/wingers Wade Belak and Steve Montador don’t produce enough in my book.
- Miracle in Montreal
- Phoenix C Olli Jokinen to miss at least two weeks with shoulder injury
- Florida Panthers- Even more pain
- Stick a fork in them- The Florida Panthers are through for 2007-08
- Are we ready for some Florida Panthers hockey?
- Calgary Flames trade Olli Jokinen to the NY Rangers
- Florida Panthers and Toronto Maple Leafs exchange defensemen
- Florida Panther Defenseman Bryan Allen ‘out indefinitely’
- Shape up or be dealt, FL Panther veterans told
- Calgary Coach Mike Keenan returns to Florida
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed