They finished tied for fourth in the first stage of qualifying for a LPGA Tour card.
RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. â€“ Michelle Wie breezed through the final round of an LPGA Tour sectional qualifying tournament on a scorching Friday in the desert, shooting a steady 1-under 71 to tie for fourth.
Completing the first step toward earning her tour card, she was 8 under after 72 holes. The 18-year-old Stanford student needed only to finish in the top 30 to advance to final qualifying tournament in Florida in December.
Stacy Lewis, who tied for third at the U.S. Women’s Open this summer, shot a closing 69 in the qualifying tournament to tie Wie and Japan’s Shiho Oyama (70) at 280, eight shots behind first-place finisher Sun-Ju Ahn of South Korea (68).
Anna Nordqvist of Sweden shot a 70 to wind up second at 274, and Miki Saiki of Japan had a 69 to finish third at 276.
Wie’s game looks to be in recovery mode. I think she will earn full LPGA playing privileges in December, as should Stacy Lewis and probably Ahn also.
- Michelle Wie earns LPGA Tour card
- Michelle Wie to enter LPGA Qualifying School
- In Bee Park wins the US Women’s Open
- Natalie Gulbis wins her first LPGA Tour title
- In Kyung Kim wins Omega Dubai Ladies Masters
- Lorena Ochoa wins Honda LPGA Thailand
- In a blaze of glory- Yani Tseng wins the final Corning Classic
- Ji-Yai Shin to play at 2008 LPGA season opener
- My Oh My- Ji Young Oh wins the Sybase Classic
- Ji-Yai Shin wins HSBC Women’s Champions
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed