Miami goes for help in the trenches.
Good height with adequate build on the edge. Plays strong, attacking his opponent through the whistle in pass protection by punching and continually extending his arms to keep his man outside the pocket. Keeps his feet moving, which keeps him locked on his man. Will go through the whistle on his man when necessary. Good movement to the linebackers, giving good effort to get his hands on quicker defenders in space. Effectively uses angles to direct speedy defenders around the play. Gets low on cut blocks, which he did quite often in Tech’s option attack as a senior. Steady player, hard worker.
Weaknesses: Not the elite athlete most teams want at left tackle. NFL speed rushers may give him problems due to his average lateral movement and tendency to overextend or miss his punch. Inconsistent initial quickness off the ball. Needs to prove strong enough to play inside or on the other side of the line. Does not recover quickly or retain his balance after the initial hit while cut blocking, and sometimes whiffs on the cut itself. Struggles to sustain in space because he overextends and lacks recovery speed.
Gardner is a relentless blocker who possesses just adequate overall strength. However, he has excellent upside in terms of agility and athleticism. He will need some development in terms of footwork.
Someone to fight for the right offensive tackle job. Last year’s #1, Jake Long, will hopefully have the left tackle job sown up for years.
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #12 – Denver Broncos – Ryan Clady
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 3 #75 – Dallas Cowboys- OT Robert Brewster
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #26 – Houston Texans – OT Duane Brown
- NFL Draft 2010 â€“ Round 2 #33- St. Louis- OT Rodger Saffold
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #14 – Chicago Bears – Chris Williams
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #1 – Miami Dolphins – OT Jake Long
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 3 #87 – Miami Dolphins- WR Patrick Turner
- NFL Draft 2010 â€“ Round 1 #4 â€“ Washington Redskins- OT Trent Williams
- NFL Draft 2008 – Round 1 #21 – Atlanta Falcons – OT Sam Baker (via Washington Redskins)
- NFL Draft 2009 Round 6 #208 – Dallas Cowboys – TE John Phillips
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed