His health issues and the emergence of Ondrej Pavelec have made the 2nd overall pick of the 2002 NHL draft expendable in Atlanta. From ESPN-
The Atlanta Thrashers have agreed to trade goalie Kari Lehtonen to the Stars, Dallas general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said on Tuesday.
The Thrashers will get prospect Ivan Vishnevskiy as well as a fourth-round draft pick in exchange. The 21-year-old Russian defenseman was the Stars’ first-round pick, 27th overall, in the 2006 NHL entry draft.
The deal was first reported by ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun.
Lehtonen will take a physical for the Stars on Wednesday.
Lehtonen is earning $3 million this season and is a restricted free agent July 1. The Thrashers deemed him expendable with the tandem of youngster Ondrej Pavelec, 22, and veteran Johan Hedberg, 36.
The acquisition of Lehtonen looks risky to me. That due to the fact he has had back surgery twice in the last year.
Dallas will likely need a new starting goaltender for the 2010-11 NHL season. Veteran Goalie Marty Turco is a unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.
- Atlanta Thrasher Goalie Kari Lehtonen out for 6 to 8 weeks
- Dallas Stars waive Goalie Alex Auld
- Canucks Top Stars in Game 7, Take Series
- Montreal Canadiens acquire Mathieu Schneider from Atlanta Thrashers
- Atlanta Thrashers trade Ilya Kovalchuk to New Jersey
- Capitals Alex Ovechkin scores 60th goal of the season
- Chicago Blackhawks waive goalie Nikolai Khabibulin
- Rangers Sweep Thrashers
- Keyshawn Johnson Cut by Carolina Panthers
- NHL Playoff Time – 1st Round Edition
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed