The NHL’s leading scorer could be facing a suspension. From ESPN-
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin was ejected from Sunday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks after receiving a game misconduct penalty for boarding.
With 7:44 remaining in the first period and the Capitals trailing 1-0, Ovechkin checked Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell into the boards behind Chicago’s goal, moments after Campbell had released the puck.
Campbell went face-first into the boards and lay on the ice for several minutes before being helped to the dressing room.
Ovechkin was given a five-minute major for boarding in addition to the game misconduct. A game misconduct penalty automatically incurs a fine and further review by the commissioner’s office for possible suspension.
Ovechkin was suspended for two games earlier this season for a knee to knee hit. I suspect the NHL will hand down a similar penalty here but who knows. NHL
fool official Colin Campbell, might give Ovechkin a penalty shot instead.
Note- I watched the end of the Chi-Wash game which saw the Capitals come back from a 3-0 deficit in the third period to win in overtime. The hit on Campbell was dirty and unneeded.
Here’s a video of the hit
- Alex Ovechkin suspended two games for Campbell hit
- NHL suspends Carolina Hurricane Tuomo Ruutu for 3 games
- Capitals Alex Ovechkin scores 60th goal of the season
- Chris Kunitz fined not suspended for hit on Washington Goalie
- Duck Hunter- Chicago beats Anaheim 4-2
- Alex the Great- Washington trounces Toronto 6-1
- Collapse- Washington wins in shootout, beats Florida 5-4
- NHL suspends Washington Defensemen Mike Green suspended for 3 games
- Montreal Canadien Maxim Lapierre suspended for 4 games
- NHL suspends Phoenix defenseman Ed Jovanovski for 2 games
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed