He has struck out 75 batters in 54 plus innings since being put in the Washington National rotation last May. From ESPN-
Rookie sensation Stephen Strasburg was diagnosed with inflammation in his pitching shoulder after being scratched from his scheduled start for the Washington Nationals on Tuesday night because he had problems warming up his prized and powerful right arm.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Strasburg had “stiffness and discomfort” in his right shoulder, but an MRI and X-ray show no structural damage.
“Given a couple days’ rest and anti-inflammatories, he should be better,” Rizzo said.
The Nationals did not make Strasburg available for comment, saying he went for tests immediately after he encountered trouble. He was supposed to start Tuesday’s game against the Atlanta Braves; instead, Miguel Batista was summoned on short notice and earned the win with five shutout innings in Washington’s 3-0 victory.
Rizzo said Strasburg is day to day and he’s not certain when the righty will pitch next.
“We’re still not sure where he’s at,” the GM said.
Earlier, Rizzo said Strasburg did not have “shooting pains or anything like that in his shoulder or elbow.”
In nine starts for Washington, Strasburg is 5-2 with a 2.32 ERA, 75 strikeouts and 15 walks in 54 1/3 innings. He has won his past three starts.
After Strasburg’s first MLB start, I commented-
I expect Strasburg to come up with a lame arm by the time he is 25.
He’s 21 and his arm isn’t mature.
Washington is a terrible club and seeking solutions and will overuse Strasburg
Strasburg’s first outing was excellent, so the club is not likely to turn back to a more patient course with this pitcher.
Baseball history has a long list of pitchers who came out gangbusters Dwight Gooden, Steve Busby, Wally Bunker, Mark Fidryich, and more but faded rapidly usually due to arm woes. If I recall correctly, Bill James said the only HOF pitcher to have impact as a rookie was Tom Seaver.
I stick by what I said. Earl Weaver said the best place for a young pitcher is long relief.
- Pitcher Stephen Strasburg likely to have Tommy John surgery
- Washington Nationals send Stephen Strasburg to AA Ball
- Stephen Strasburg Impresses In Major League Debut
- Washington Nationals make Stephen Strasburg first pick in Baseball’s amateur draft
- Washington Nationals sign C Ivan Rodriguez
- Washington Nationals release OF Elijah Dukes
- Washington Nationals P Jordan Zimmermann out for the year
- Florida Marlins pitcher Anibal Sanchez has season-ending surgery
- Smoltz Flirts With No-Hitter as Braves Rout Nats
- Washington Nationals Nate Willingham hits 2 Grand Slams in one game
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed