The tournament in Toledo Ohio has been an LPGA fixture since 1984.
Back in 2003, Jamie Farr formerly of the television series MASH, congratulated the winner Se Ri Pak by saying the following.
“Se Ri the members of the club here should pay you, because you own this course!”
Few truer words have been said on the LPGA tour.
How dominating has the Korean Golf Queen been in Toledo?
In 1997 Se Ri got a sponsor’s exemption to the Farr. She wasn’t an exempt player yet, and Se Ri missed the cut.
In 1998 Se Ri shot a 2nd round 61. At the time it was the all-time lowest round in LPGA. She backed it up with a 63 to win the Farr by 9 shots.
Golf trivia time- In 2001 Annika Sorenstam shot a 59 to break Se Ri’s record. What multiple LPGA major champion and Jamie Farr Classic winner played with Se Ri and Annika on both those record breaking days?
I’ll give the answer below.
In 1999 Se Ri set another type of record. She won the Farr in a 6-way playoff over Karrie Webb, Carin Koch, Mardi Lunn, Kelli Keunhe and Sherri Steinhauer. That was and still is the biggest playoff in LPGA history.
In 2000 Se Ri finished 3rd only one shot out of a Annika Sorenstam-Rachel Teske playoff.
In 2001 Se Ri won again. This time by 2 shots
In 2002 She finished tied for 5th or 7th.
In 2003 Se Ri won by 2 shots over fellow countrywoman Hee Won Han and Marisa Baena.
In 2004 Se Ri finished 2nd losing by one lost to Meg Mallon. This was her only top 10 finish in the two year slump Se Ri suffered before winning the 2006 LPGA.
What makes Se Ri play like this in Toledo, no one knows. She is just comfortable and dominating at this yearly tour stop. Only Annika Sorenstam’s track record at the Mizuno Classic shows comprable domination in any LPGA event.
If you were betting on golf, you’d take Se Ri. If a bookmaker gave you more than a dollar for every dollar you bet, he or she would be out of their mind.
Today is the first round of the 2006 Farr, so far Se Ri is -3 for 16 holes. We’ll have to wait and see if Se Ri wins in Toledo for the fifth time.
Trivia answer- Meg Mallon, the 2004 Jamie Farr winner.
- Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic to return in 2010
- The LPGA Tour is in Toledo
- She owns Toledo- Se Ri Pak wins her fifth Jamie Farr Classic
- Holy Toledo- In-Kyung Kim ties LPGA Tour record for nine holes
- Nine holes with Se Ri Pak
- Annika Sorenstam misses first LPGA cut since 2002
- In Kyung Kim wins Omega Dubai Ladies Masters
- The 2010 LPGA Schedule is out
- See what I mean about the LPGA and The Golf Channel
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed