Some news from Venezuela.
CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) – The government of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who has promised a socialist revolution for the poor, on Wednesday criticized an ally’s move to seize two golf courses to build affordable housing.
Venezuelan Vice President Jose Vicente Rangel said the “national government does not agree with” the move by Caracas Mayor Juan Barreto, a Chavez loyalist, to take over the golf courses and two plots of land for the low-income housing plan.
Chavez, a former paratrooper who has promised a revolution to end poverty in the world’s No. 5 oil exporter, has harshly criticized wealthy Venezuelans for their lavish lifestyles.
Barreto had issued decrees calling for the “forced acquisition” of two golf courses in neighbourhoods of Caracas, Venezuela’s capital.
Critics said Barreto had not adequately demonstrated the city’s intentions for the land as legally required in expropriation cases.
Since it is inconsistent with his other policies and beliefs, one has to guess Chavez likes to play golf.
Since he’s either a Socialist or Communist, I bet Hugo Chavez hits the ball with a decided draw. Watch out for those duck hooks the next time you visit Caracas.
- Edwin Valero remains WBC lightweight champion
- Will Venezuela Become the New Cuba
- Seattle loses OF Endy Chavez for the season after suffering knee injury in collision
- Former MLB pitcher Geremi Gonzalez killed by lightning strike
- Back injury may end Oakland Athletic 3rd baseman Eric Chavez’s career
- Auburn Clears Self in Grade Scam Scandal
- Par for the course
- Torrey Pines may host LPGA event beginning in 2009
- Samsung ends LPGA Tournament sponsorship
- Tiger Woods’ tournament to stay at Congressional for 2009
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed