Some news from China. Are all students required to play a draw or hit the ball from right to left too?
BEIJING – A Chinese university is requiring law and business students to take golf lessons to prepare them for a business world where deals are made on the golf course, news reports said Tuesday.
Xiamen University in the southeastern city of Xiamen joins a growing number of Chinese schools offering golf lessons, but is unusual in making them a required class.
Golf classes start in two months and also will be required for economics and computer software majors, the official Xinhua News Agency said, citing university president Zhu Chongshi.
“The aim is to help the students find good jobs,” a sports professor at the school, Chen Xiao, was quoted as saying. “Many Chinese business deals are clinched on golf courses.”
Elite Peking University set off a debate over whether golf is appropriate for China, where most people still live in poverty, when it announced in August that it was building a practice green.
Some students complained the sport was too elitist but supporters defended it as a healthy social activity.
- Auburn Clears Self in Grade Scam Scandal
- Will Golf World’s Ron Sirak please pick up the white courtesy phone?
- Auburn Football Players Got Top Grades for Bogus Classes
- Chinese soccer team quarantined over swine flu
- What is Hugo’s handicap?
- LPGA Tour adds China stop to 2008 Tour schedule
- China to combat spread of HIV/AIDS during 2008 Olympics
- One in five of China’s athletes lie about their age
- New Mexico head coach Mike Locksley suspended for one game
- China, Amnesty International and the 2008 Summer Olympics
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed