The LPGA is playing their Tournament of Champions in Mobile Alabama this weekend. So where is the tour’s number #1 player?
– ANNIKA SPEAKS: Sorenstam continued to snub the TOC despite being in a heated race with Karrie Webb and Lorena Ochoa to win her sixth straight player of the year award.
She chose to play this week in Greg Norman’s Merrill Lynch Shootout in Naples, Fla., and addressed her decision Wednesday in an interview with Tom Hanson, a former LPGA caddie and tour insider who is now a reporter at the Naples Daily News.
“It’s great to be invited here,” Sorenstam said of playing with 23 PGA Tour pros. “It’s a chance you just don’t want to turn down. To be honest, I haven’t been in Mobile in I don’t know how many years. It wasn’t like I was going to play there.”
Sorenstam has played here only twice in seven years, the last time in 2002, when she finished fourth.
She was asked why.
“The course is not my favorite,” she replied.
Sorenstam also learned that some LPGA players had been critical of her playing in Naples instead of coming to Mobile.
“I think that’s uncalled for,” she said. “I have supported the tour for many, many years.”
No, Annika its that you don’t feel the rules apply to you. That’s why players are critical of you.
See the LPGA has this rule.
On the LPGA Tour, every player must play each event at least once every four years. So if youâ€™re the XYZ Open in Padunk, Iowa, you know that at least once every four years youâ€™re going to get Annika Sorenstam. And itâ€™s why the CN Canadian Womenâ€™s Open knows that next year Sorenstam will be in the field.
The author of the above article is right about the rule but wrong about Sorenstam’s certain participation at the 2007 Canadian Open. For its obvious, Annika doesn’t think the rules of the LPGA or golf apply to her either off the course or on.
- Annika Sorenstam announces her retirement
- Annika Sorenstam to miss LPGA Tour events due to back injury
- The race to qualify for the ADT Championship
- Annika vs Pat at the US Open and other notes
- Michelle Wie to play in another PGA Tour event
- Annika Sorenstam misses first LPGA cut since 2002
- The LPGA’s Samsung Championship makes special Hall of Fame addition to field
Jamie FarrSe Ri Pak Owens Corning Classic
- Gwladys Nocera Gets Two-Stroke Penalty For Being Late at Suzhou-Taihu Ladies Open
- The outrage- Annika Sorenstam’s ADT drug test
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- 2007 LPGA Season begins today linked with OTB Sports
- The Florida Masochist linked with The 2007 LPGA Golf season opens today
- PoliBlogâ€™s Deportes: A PoliBlog Sideblog
- The Florida Masochist
- The LPGA’s Samsung Championship makes special Hall of Fame addition to field linked with OTB Sports
Comments are Closed