Tiger announced in a message on his website.
ANAHEIM, Calif. – Tiger Woods celebrated his 31st birthday Saturday by sharing some of his biggest news of the year â€” his wife is expecting their first child this summer.
“Obviously, we couldn’t be happier and our families are thrilled,” Woods said on his Web site. “I have always wanted to be a dad. I just wish my father could be around to share the experience.”
Woods and Elin Nordegren of Sweden married in October 2004, and Woods has said that he wanted children sooner instead of later. He did not say when in the summer the baby is due, although it likely would be between the U.S. Open and British Open.
“I’m going to stick close to home for the next few weeks,” he said. Woods will start his ’07 season in the Buick Invitational at the end of January, “which will allow Elin and I to spend more time with our families during this very special time in our lives.”
Tiger will need more time after the baby is born. Unless fatherhood has gone to his head, I don’t think Tiger’s skipping the Mercedes-Benz is due to Elin’s pregnancy. Stuart Appleby won this same tournament in 2004 or 2005 and immediately flew home to Australia. His wife giving birth like three days after Stuart’s win. There isn’t much for a father to do this early on, plus the fact that Tiger was long rumored to be skipping this tournament.
As to when the baby is due, AP is guessing with their between the British and US Open statement. The Woods could have the child any time next summer from June to August. Without specifics, the reporter is just guessing. The golf media probably knows as much about pregnancy as they do about fact checking.
Hee Won Han, one of the top 10 LPGA players, is also expecting a child next summer. (2007 is the year of the Pig in Korea and that is supposed to be a good time for having a baby. Can the recently wed Gloria Park be far behind?) Congrats to Hee Won and her husband Sonny who I once met, plus Tiger and Elin.
- Tiger Woods’ foundation brings PGA event back to D.C.
- Tiger and Elin Have a Baby Girl!
- Tiger Woods Misses Cut at U.S. Open
- Tiger Woods misses British Open cut
- Tiger Woods Leads British Open
- Tiger Woods expected to skip Northern Trust LA Open
- Is golfer Annika Sorenstam pregnant?
- Tiger Woods to Skip the Nissan Open
- Will Tiger Woods be rusty when he returns to the PGA Tour?
- Tiger Woods has knee surgery and will miss 4-6 weeks
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- The Florida Masochist
- 2007 LPGA Season begins today linked with OTB Sports
- PoliBlog’s Deportes: A PoliBlog Sideblog linked with 2007 LPGA Golf season opens today
- Tiger Woods’ foundation brings PGA event back to D.C. linked with OTB Sports
- The Other Golfing Parents- Moms on the LPGA Tour linked with OTB Sports
- PoliBlog’s Deportes: A PoliBlog Sideblog linked with The Other Golfing Parents- Moms on the LPGA Tour
Comments are Closed