The A’s have signed Ricky Ledee to a minor league contract, with an invite to Spring Training. They’re looking at him for the 5th outfielder spot, along with Ryan Goleski, Hiram Bocachica and Charles Thomas.
I’d have to believe that the spot is Goleski’s to lose, because as a Rule 5 draft pick, he has to remain on the 25-man roster to stay with the A’s. He may have been injured when he came over, but he’s going to be healthy by the time Spring Training starts, so he can’t spend the season on the DL rehabbing in the minors.
Ricky Ledee‘s “best” season might have been in 2003 with the Phillies. He hit .247/.334/.475 with 13 home runs and a 34:59 BB:SO ratio. That’s not a particularly good season, though. Here’s his projection for 2007, as a 34 year old:
Not very good. The *2B and *HR numbers have been adjusted to 350 at bats, which is what I’d guess a 5th OF might get this year in Oakland.
Compare that to Goleski’s numbers:
Who would you rather have? Goleski offers more power, but he strikes out far too often and his OBP is well below average.
Both Ledee and Goleski have offensive drawbacks. The deciding factor, in my opinion, is that while Ledee is a declining 34 year old, Goleski is a 25 year old with no major league experience yet. Goleski has a PECOTA UPSIDE of 5.2, while Ledee’s UPSIDE is just 0.6.
- A’s Sign Shannon Stewart
- Royals Spring Training Preview – 3B
- Royals Week In Review
- Duchscherer Avoids Arbitration
- Arbitration Avoided for Four More A’s
- 2007 AL Fantasy Sleepers
- Ricky Williams Suspended for 2006
- Royals Week in Review
- Ricky Williams seeks NFL reinstatement
- Wrapping up Phil Hughes’ spring
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- The Pastime linked with Should “Steroid Era” players get into Cooperstown?
Comments are Closed