From Pete Abraham -
The question of who takes control of the Yankees when George Steinbrenner steps down or passes away has been reopened.
Steinbrennerâ€™s son-in-law and designated successor, Steve Swindal, has been sued for divorce. Jennifer Steinbrenner filed papers in the Hillsborough County Circuit Courtâ€™s family law department on Tuesday. She cited â€œirreconcilable differences.â€
The divorce proceedings came 40 days after Swindal was arrested for driving under the influence and speeding in an unsavory section of St. Petersburg. Swindal is expected to lose his position as general partner.
Steinbrennerâ€™s two sons, Hank and Hal, have not previously exhibited much interest in the operation of the team. Hank Steinbrenner is a senior vice president and general partner and Hal Steinbrenner a general partner. But both have spent more time at Legends Field this spring, particularly in the wake of Swindalâ€™s arrest.
Another son-in-law, Felix Lopez, is a senior vice president of the team.
This is a significant development for fans. Once Steinbrenner dies, it is unclear whether his family would retain control of the team or sell it.
- Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner Dies At 80
- Is Joe Torre safe?
- Michael Jordan and Wife File for Divorce
- Inside scoop on the Santana deal
- More A-Rod
- Wayne Huizenga sells half of the Miami Dolphins
- Cheney Booed at Nats Game
- Interim 76ers coach Tony Dileo returns to the front office
- Washington Nationals Finally Have an Owner
- Arizona Diamondbacks fire Manager A.J. Hinch
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed