The San Francisco 49ers have gone defense with the 11th pick in the draft, taking Ole Miss linebacker Patrick Willis.
What the Experts Say:
- Rick Gosselin’s Final Ranking: 3rd overall
- Mel Kiper Final Ranking: 12th overall
- Scout.com Final Rankings: 9th overall
Biography: Two-year starter awarded a variety of All-Conference and All-American honors since his junior campaign. Senior totals were 137/11.5/3 after 128/9.5/3 as a junior. Sophomore numbers were 70/11/5 when he was a reserve.
Pos: Fierce, run-defending linebacker who is best in the box. Fires up the field, plays with great suddenness and flashes on the scene. Plays heads-up football and takes good angles to the play. Possesses a thick, strong build, defeats blocks and easily brings ball carriers down on initial contact. Remains disciplined with assignments.
Neg: Lacks top lateral range, struggles in coverage and does not possess a quick break to the throw.
Most draft analysts worried San Francisco wasn’t interested in Willis because the organization didn’t bring him in for a visit but why bring him in when you know you are going to take him? Willis played for Noland and the 49er staff at the Senior Bowl and they named him team captain that week. Chances are that’s when San Francisco started to lean toward taking him and any doubts they had were likely erased during film studies. Willis needs to work on reading routes and possibly add some bulk to his frame but he has few other weaknesses.
A stout run defender, he takes the shortest path to the ball and wraps up upon contact. Willis can also match up with most backs and tight ends when he drops into coverage. Finally, he is a leader on the field and a hard worker off it. In other words, he is the kind of player defenses are built around and he immediately improves San Francisco’s defense.
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #24 – New England Patriots – S Brandon Meriweather
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #20 – New York Giants – CB Aaron Ross
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #25 – Carolina Panthers – LB Jon Beason
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #6 – Washington Redskins – S LaRon Landry
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #13 – St. Louis Rams – DE Adam Carriker
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #15 – Pittsburgh Steelers – OLB Lawrence Timmons
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #18 – Cincinnati Bengals – CB Leon Hall
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #21 – Jacksonville Jaguars – S Reggie Nelson
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #19 – Tennessee Titans – S Michael Griffin
- NFL Draft 2007 – Round 1 #10 – Houston Texans – DT Amobi Okoye
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed