Texas A&M has hired Mike Sherman as their new head football coach.
Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman was introduced as Texas A&M’s coach Monday, three days after Dennis Franchione resigned.
Sherman, 52, has been an assistant head coach with the Houston Texans for two seasons under Gary Kubiak, a former quarterback for the Aggies. Sherman also has ties to A&M. He was the offensive line coach from 1989-93 and then in 1995-96 under R.C Slocum. Kubiak was A&M’s running backs coach in 1992 and ’93.
Franchione took a contract buyout and stepped down Friday, less than an hour after Texas A&M beat Texas 38-30. Defensive coordinator Gary Darnell was named the interim coach Saturday and will lead the Aggies (7-5, 4-4 Big 12) through their bowl game. The Aggies are expecting an invitation Sunday.
That was quick. Sherman doesn’t have much of a record as a head coach or as a recruiter, which makes this a rather odd choice.
- Franchione Out at Texas A&M
- Utah State hires Utah coordinator Gary Andersen as head football coach
- Cowboys Hire Ray Sherman, John Garrett
- Mike Shula Jaguars New QB Coach
- Jason Garrett New Dallas Cowboys Coach
- Former Olympic swin coach Richard Quick dead at 66
- Cowboys Coaching Search: Hiring Staff Before Head Coach?
- Texas Tech hire Tommy Tuberville to be next football coach
- Jim Bates- New Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive coordinator
- Kubiak: Domanick Davis Not Being Cut
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed