And he posted a video of it to the internet. From AP-
A French pole vaulting champion ran naked with his pole through the streets of Paris and posted the video on the Internet, hoping to draw attention to his quest for a new sponsorship deal.
Romain Mesnil, who won a silver medal at the 2007 Athletics World Championships in Osaka, was sponsored by Nike but says his contract expired last year and was not renewed.
“It was probably for budgetary and strategic reasons. It’s the crisis,” he wrote on his Web site.
Many athletes have reported difficulties obtaining corporate sponsorship as companies cut costs because of the global economic downturn.
In his video, Mesnil runs with his pole as if preparing for a vault at tourist spots like Montmartre and the Pont des Arts across the River Seine. A black square has been added to the footage to cover his groin area.
I don’t think too many people would want to see this pole vaulter’s ‘pole’ but I could be wrong.
While Mesnil’s stunt drew him plenty of publicity, supporting a pole vaulter who runs naked in public may not be the image a potential sponsor would want to be presenting.
- GM won’t renew sponsorship of Pittsburgh Pirates
- PGA Tour season opener has new sponsor
- NHL trying to find new revenue for cash-strapped Phoenix Coyotes
- Royals to Watch More TV in 2007
- LPGA Tour won’t return to Oklahoma in 2009
- Fuzzy Zoeller sues law firm for Wikipedia posting
- U of New Mexico soccer player Elizabeth Lambert suspended indefinitely
- Rocket returns in victorious fashion
- Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith 1st Black Super Bowl Coaches
- Yankees Opening Day: 161 to go
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed