One of the hazards that comes with the Designated hitter rule. From AP-
An error on the Tampa Bay Rays’ official lineup card forced starting pitcher Andy Sonnanstine to bat in Sunday’s game against Cleveland.
The Rays listed Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria as the third baseman on the card given to the umpires before the start of the game. Longoria was supposed to be the designated hitter.
After the top of the first, in which Zobrist played third, the game was delayed 13 minutes as the umpires discussed the matter among themselves and individually with Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon and Cleveland manager Eric Wedge.
The umpires pulled the Indians off the field midway through the delay.
The Rays lost their DH position due to the error, meaning Sonnanstine replaced Longoria in the third spot of the lineup. Longoria was available to come off the bench.
Once in high school, our coach deliberately tried to re-use a player who had left the game. The other team wasn’t fooled, after one pitch the batter was declared out and the game was over. We were only one run down and the tying run was in scoring position.
- Seems like old times- Boston Red Sox beat Tampa 3-1
- Rays Have Choices with 1st Overall Pick
- Tampa Bay Rays trade P Scott Kazmir to the Angels
- Sonnanstine Showed Flashes of Brilliance
- Devil Rays Get Bargain in Iwamura
- Error- Tampa Bay Rays beat Washington 4-3
- Tampa Bay Rays trade 2B Akinori Iwamura to Pittsburgh
- Tampa Bay Rays acquire Catcher Kelly Shoppach from Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondback P Edwin Jackson throws a no-hitter
- Tampa Bay Rays acquire Reliever Russ Springer
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed