He becomes the first defending champion since Goran Ivanisevic in 2002 to not defend their title. From AP-
Defending champion Rafael Nadal withdrew from Wimbledon on Friday because of tendinitis in his knees.
He is the first reigning Wimbledon men’s champion to not defend the title since Goran Ivanisevic in 2002 — and only the second in the last 35 years. The grass-court Grand Slam tournament begins Monday.
“I’m just not 100 percent,” the No. 1-ranked Nadal said during a news conference at the All England Club. “I’m better than I was a couple of weeks ago, but I just don’t feel ready.”
His announcement came about 2Â½ hours after he lost to Stanislas Wawrinka in an exhibition match on grass at the Hurlingham Club in south London.
“Today was the last test,” Nadal said. “I didn’t feel terrible but not close to my best.”
There will be other Wimbledons for Nadal to take a crack at. I think he made the right decision for 2009.
- Rafael Nadal wins 1st grass-court title
- Federer v. Nadal, Grass v. Clay
- Andre Agassi to Retire after Wimbledon and U.S. Open
- Martina Hingis denies cocaine charges, retires
- ADT Championship- Defending champion Juleta Granada not playing
- Venus Williams wins her 5th Wimbledon title
- North Korean female boxer loses title after skipping match
- Wimbledon to pay men and women equally
- Ian Poulter withdraws from Singapore Open because of missing driver
- Roger Federer wins his 4th Australian Open
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed